Still struggling with a low-speed internet connection? Spending most of your time staring at a buffering icon? I’d say it’s time for an upgrade.
Times have changed. People now love to smoothly stream their movies in 4K high definition without any hitches.
Gigabit routers are your one-stop solution to tackling your internet speed issues. Want to know more about gigabit routers? Read on.
What Is A Gigabit Router?
Simply put, a gigabit router is a device that enables you to download files from the internet onto your computer at lightning-fast speeds. I’m talking speeds faster than 1000Mbps (megabytes per second). That’s ten times faster than a conventional household router!
Why Should You Invest In A Gigabit Router?
Most conventional household routers offer a bandwidth speed of 100Mbps. However, most internet providers offer a much higher bandwidth speed. Give your provider a call today and see what bandwidth speed you’re actually being offered. If your plan provides you with (and you’re paying for!) at least 1000Mbps (or 1 Gbps or gigabytes per second), why not take full advantage of it?
Let’s say you want to download GTA 5, a game with a file size of 65 GB.
The download speed of the average United States household internet connection is 64 Mbps. Therefore, it’ll take you about 2.5 hours to download GTA 5, provided that your internet connection doesn’t fluctuate. However, you and I know all too well know how often internet speeds like to randomly waiver and drop at crucial times and in the middle of downloads.
What if I were to tell you that if you use a gigabit router, you’ll be able to download GTA 5 in as little as nine minutes! Crazy, right?
Should You Buy A Gigabit Router?
Read on and decide for yourself:
Are You A Netflix Addict?
Over the years, Netflix has evolved into one of the most popular online streaming sites. One of the primary reasons for their success is the quality of the videos they deliver. All of their movies are now available in 4K offering you ultra HD videos that are a delight to watch.
Netflix continuously upgrades the quality of their videos providing you with the best user experience available to anyone who streams movies online. They have to, or else they’ll go out of business.
But, as you know, all good things come at a cost. This includes video quality.
Better quality videos = Larger file sizes.
If you’re using a conventional 100Mbps router, you’re either watching a very pixelated video, or you’re wasting valuable time waiting for a simple movie to buffer and eventually download.
Are you backing up your computer, laptop, or server on a regular basis? If not, you should. I know it’s tough to consider, but think about this: What would happen if you suddenly lost your laptop in an unexpected fire or theft? What vial information would you suddenly lose access to? What tax information or the expensive game would you suddenly lose access to?
Now, assume that you made the smart decision and make a commitment to back up your device on a regular basis.
How would you go about it?
Well, most people prefer to use a cloud service. A cloud service helps you save your files online on a secure server, and allows you to retrieve them whenever you need them.
Major cloud services such as Amazon continuously update and upgrade their server speeds. They can currently receive your files at 1 Gbps.
But, here’s the important question:
Are you actually capable of uploading files at 1 Gbps?
With how unstable computers and operating systems are built nowadays, and with new hacks and viruses being developed on a continuous basis, it is vital that you backup your laptop, computer, and even server on a regular basis.
A gigabit router allows you upload 1 TB (or terabyte) of data in under 2.5 hours. That same upload would take the better part of 24 hours using a conventional router.
What Other Benefits Will You Get (Besides Speed)?
- Wireless For Your Convenience: In the past, gigabit routers were not wifi compatible. Any computer or laptop utilizing a gigabit router had to be connected to be cable-connected. Recent technological advancements have to lead to full wireless wifi capable gigabit routers for your convenience.
- Consistent Speeds: Because gigabit wifi routers use optical fiber technology, the chances for speed drop-offs or fluctuations are little to zero, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Large Coverage Area: Gigabit wifi routers have a much larger coverage area radius than conventional household routers. You’ll be able to wirelessly stream high-quality 4D videos whether you’re in your basement, your front yard, or your garage.
- Multi-Device Support: You can connect more than 40 devices to your wireless gigabit router and still surf the internet, play games, and seamlessly stream videos.
- Power Of Three: Snag the power of three routers and benefit from the internet speed you deserve without experiencing any drop-off. Connect more devices than you previously imagined you could.
Keep this in mind:
- Before buying a gigabit router, ensure that your Internet Service Provider (ISP) offers gigabit service. If all you’re getting from your provider is 100Mbps, there’s no point in getting yourself a gigabit router.
- It’s also a good idea to see if high-speed internet is available in your area as well.
- If you’re looking to hardwire your computer or laptop to your gigabit wifi router, make sure your computer or laptop have the appropriate ethernet connection ports.
Which Gigabit Router Should You Get
Here are two-gigabit routers you should seriously consider looking into:
NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router (R6700)
Netgear makes some of the best networking devices in the World. It’s no surprise that Nighthawk is a gem. Let me take you through some of the pros and cons:
- It comes with 4 Ethernet ports and 1 USB port and it operates at 1750Mbps.
- The wireless coverage is 1500 sq.ft. and 25 devices can be connected at a time.
- Parental controls can be enabled by subscribing to Circle App. You’ll be able to effortlessly restrict access to harmful websites and schedule internet access so you won’t ever have to worry about your children accessing a questionable website.
- It supports WPA2 security protocols and also includes Firewall, VPN, DoS, etc.
- This product is surprisingly affordable but still offers exceptional quality.
- The auto-update feature is currently not available. You’ll have to update the firmware manually.
If you are looking for a fast and reliable gigabit wifi router under $100, this is the perfect choice for you.
ASUS Dual-Band Gigabit WiFi Gaming Router (AC3100)
This is another specially designed product from ASUS. If you’re a serious gamer, this is the jackpot you’ve been looking for. Let me take you through the pros and cons:
- You’ll get an output speed of 3100Mbps from this router.
- Equipped with NitroQAM technology, this Dual-Band router comes with 8 Ethernet ports.
- Its adaptive QoS enables you to select the gaming bandwidth based on whatever priority setting you select.
- The ASUS router app makes it super easy for you to set up and manage the router configuration.
- It comes with AiProtection for malicious website detection and advanced parental controls.
- Expect to pay a bit more than normal for this particular router. However, if you take a look at the pros, you’ll see that this router is worth every penny.
The Asus AC3100 is easily the fastest router available on the market today. It’s perfect for the avid data-consuming gamer.
The world around you and I are constantly evolving. New software and technology is hitting the consumer market every day. The quality of the video content contained within the games you play and the movies you watch continues to evolve and improve. Unfortunately, all of this puts a strain on your router. If you’re running with a conventional household router, you may have to settle for either longer loading times or buffering issues. And, you know how frustrating waiting for a simple 30-second video clip to load can be.
Connectivity, reliability, and speed are what most people seek when selecting a new router. When it comes to developing new router technologies, companies are leaving no stone unturned. Take advantage of it.